What is the Visa
The main difference between a visa and a passport is that a visa is an endorsement placed within a passport that grants the holder official permission to enter, leave or stay in a country for a specified time period.
- The most common visa types are tourist, student, work and transit visas.
- Depending on where you are traveling, a visa can be valid for single or multiple visits.
- Some visas require an application to be filed prior to entering the country and other visas are granted upon entering the country.
- Certain countries require an interview or medical screening prior to applying for a visa.
What is the Passport
The main difference between a passport and a visa is that a passport is issued to a country’s citizens for international travel and identification.
- A passport is used to verify one’s country of citizenship. If traveling outside your country, it is used to regain entry into your country of citizenship.
- Passports include your photo, name, birth date, gender and physical characteristics.
- For U.S. citizens, some countries only require a passport for re-entry. Other countries may require a visa before entry. You should confirm if a country-specific visa* is required before traveling.
- Diplomats and government officials are granted different passports than what’s given to regular travelers.
Importance of International Education
Importance of Studying Abroad
Studying abroad provides many advantages students can gain, such as:
- Broadening world views and ways of thinking by experiencing different cultures firsthand.
- Benefiting students with future career opportunities by providing more life experiences and personal connections.
- Complementing and accelerating fluency in speaking, reading, and writing foreign languages.
- Providing an alternative academic experience by taking courses not offered elsewhere while earning credits towards graduation.
- Providing opportunities for leadership development through interactions with different cultures.
- Providing opportunities for personal growth and development by gaining self confidence and life experience.